President Donald Trump took to Twitter Thursday to thank North Korean leader Kim Jong Un for the return of suspected remains of fallen USA service members, commending the "kind action" and saying he looked forward to seeing the chairman again soon.
The White House is not addressing whether Trump and Kim may again meet.
'Thank you to Chairman Kim Jong Un for keeping your word & starting the process of sending home the remains of our great and beloved missing fallen! "I am not at all surprised that you took this kind action".
In a tweet, Mr Trump also thanked the North Korean leader for his "nice letter", without elaborating.
In a statement on Thursday, White House spokeswoman Sarah Sanders said that Mr Trump's tweet was referring to a letter that Mr Trump received on 1 August from Mr Kim.
The return of the remains was one of Mr. Trump's conditions reached during the leaders' summit in June.
Vice President Mike Pence was in Hawaii to greet the returns.
Julie Chen on Les Moonves allegations: ‘I fully support my husband’
Moonves resisted that deal because he believed CBS's prospects were better without taking on Viacom's turnaround challenges. CBS says independent members of its board of directors are investigating personal misconduct claims amid the report.
But a document signed by Kim and Trump did not include details of how and when North Korea would denuclearize.
'Those negotiations and discussions are ongoing. And that we'll bring our boys home, ' he said.
The remains were retrieved by a USA military aircraft from a seaside city in North Korea and brought to Osan Air Base outside of Seoul.
A report from Axios last month said Trump could dangle a second meeting Kim this September as a reward for taking steps toward denuclearization.
An estimated 5,300 USA service members listed as unaccounted for from the 1950-53 conflict in North Korea.
However, Air Force General John Hyten, who commands the US Strategic Command, pointed out that North Korea has not launched any missiles since November.
While it has taken longer than some had hoped, a U.S. State Department official said the process had so far proceeded as expected, and the handover rekindled hopes for progress in other talks with North Korea aimed at getting it to abandon its nuclear weapons programme.